Tim Hodson is the editorial director of GPN and Big Grower. He can be reached at 847.391.1019 or email@example.com
Calling All Hort Interns!
Did you have the opportunity to work with an exceptional college student/intern this year?
If you did, we'd like to know about him or her because that student just might be the 2015 GPN/Nexus Intern of the Year.
This is the 16th year that GPN and Nexus Greenhouse Corp. have partnered to recognize an undergraduate student who is poised to have a stellar career in this industry. Our goal is to identify the industry’s future leaders as they begin their careers — and possibly even be a future member of GPN’s 40 Under 40!
The 2015 GPN/Nexus Intern of the Year will receive a check for $3,000; be featured in an article and on the cover of the January 2015 issue of GPN; receive travel and hotel expenses to Cultivate’15 in Columbus, Ohio, next July as well as a full Cultivate’15 registration.
To be considered, the student must meet these requirements:
- Be enrolled in a four-year accredited university during 2013-2014 and 2014-2015;
- Be working on an undergraduate degree in floriculture; and
- Have completed a greenhouse internship in 2014.
If the student meets all of the criteria above, then he or she should submit:
- A cover letter stating what university the applicant attends and a request for consideration for the scholarship;
- A letter of recommendation on university letterhead from the applicant's academic advisor; and
- A minimum 1,000-word essay describing the internship experience, including who the applicant interned for, what his or her responsibilities were and what the student learned during the internship.
All of the above information should be submitted to:
3030 W. Salt Creek Lane, Suite 201
Arlington Heights, IL 60005
The deadline to apply is Oct. 22, 2014.
If you or the student have any questions about the scholarship program, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Webinar Date Approaching
I also wanted to remind you that at 2 p.m. eastern time on Sept. 16, GPN columnist and regular contributor Paul Pilon, horticultural consultant and owner of Perennial Solutions Consulting, will present a FREE one-hour webinar, "Strategies for Growing Healthy Perennials," to help growers get the most out of their perennial production.