Dümmen Group Receives MPS Certification at Cultivate’14
On July 13, MPS awarded both MPS-ABC and MPS-GAP certificates to Dümmen Group’s Las Mercedes production facility. The MPS audit, completed in June, also included an assessment for MPS-Socially Qualified certification, and is expected to follow in the near term.
On July 13, 2014, MPS awarded both MPS-ABC (Environmental) and MPS-GAP (Good Agricultural Practices) certificates to Dümmen Group’s Las Mercedes production facility. The MPS audit, completed in June, also included an assessment for MPS-Socially Qualified certification, ans is expected to follow in the near term.
These certifications indicate that Dümmen Group has complied with or exceeded exacting MPS standards on both Environmental and Good Agricultural Practices.
Since opening in 2008, Las Mercedes has been addressing environmental and safety concerns. Some of the actions taken include:
1) Water use. Las Mercedes uses a hydroponic system that minimizes the loss of water and fertilizer.
2) Chemical use. Las Mercedes adheres strictly to the MPS-permitted chemicals list, which excludes those with highly persistent half-lives.
3) Energy. Las Mercedes receives ample sunlight, and solar energy is being tested to supply significant power in the futuer.
4) Chemical storage. Working with MPS, Las Mercedes has increased and improved storage space for fertilizers and agrochemicals, with systems in place to maintain order and traceability.
5) Chemical safety. Before MPS review, Las Mercedes already had a worker safety committee in place, which has completed a risk evaluation and developed an emergency evacuation plan.
For further information about MPS and the certifying process, go to www.my-mps.com.