Growers Learn Energy-Saving Strategies
Greenhouse operators looking for strategies to lower their monthly fuel bills are encouraged to attend a series of winter grower meetings coordinated by Michigan State University (MSU) Extension. Five meetings will take place across Michigan:
- Jan. 18, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., Ottawa County Fillmore Complex, West Olive.
- Jan. 19, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., Kalamazoo Valley Community College, Kalamazoo.
- Jan. 31, 1-4 p.m., Grafton Hall, Carleton.
- Feb. 7, 1-4 p.m., Doherty Hotel and Conference Center, Clare.
- Feb. 8, 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., Frankenmuth Bavarian Inn Lodge and Conference Center, Frankenmuth.
Presenters will address how to conserve energy by managing lighting and temperature and how to use and select energy-efficient alternative fuels to heat greenhouses and generate power. They will also provide information on grant and loan opportunities available for implementing greenhouse energy conservation practices.
Speakers include Erik Runkle, MSU Department of Horticulture; Chris Schilling, Saginaw Valley State University Department of Mechanical Engineering; and Steve Harsh and Matthew Blanchard, MSU Department of Agricultural Economics.
For more information about the meetings and to register, visit www.hrt.msu.edu.