Tim Hodson is the editorial director of GPN and Big Grower. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
Know Any Good Interns?
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS EXTENDED UNTIL 5 p.m. CHICAGO TIME ON OCT. 28, 2013.
It is that time of year again! It is time for GPN and Nexus Corp. to find our Intern of the Year!
For the past 14 years, GPN and Nexus Corp. have recognized one student who has taken part in a college-sponsored internship program at a horticulture-related company.
We want to shine the spotlight on that special student who, during the internship, learned not only about the many different facets of horticulture but also learned more about themself too. The winning student will receive a check for $3,000; be featured in an article and on the cover of the January 2014 issue of GPN; receive travel and hotel expenses to 2014 OFA Short Course as well as a full Short Course registration.
To be considered for the award, the student must meet these requirements:
- Be enrolled in a four-year accredited university during 2012-2013 and 2013-2014.
- Be working on a floriculture-related undergraduate degree.
- Have completed a greenhouse internship in 2013.
If all of the requirements are met, the student needs to submit:
- A cover letter requesting consideration for the scholarship as well as what university the applicant attends;
- A letter of recommendation on university letterhead from the applicant's academic advisor; and
- A minimum 1,000 word essay describing the internship experience including who the applicant interned for, what his or her responsibilities were and what the applicant learned during the internship.
Applications should be sent to:
GPN/Nexus Intern Scholarship
c/o Tim Hodson, GPN
3030 W. Salt Creek Lane, Suite 201
Arlington Heights, IL 60005
If you know someone who meets these qualifications, then by all means please let them know about this opportunity.
The deadline to apply is Oct. 21, 2013.
If you or the student have additional questions about this award, feel free to contact me at email@example.com.
And if you would like to learn more about our previous interns go to http://www.gpnmag.com/intern-of-the-year.