Fleuroselect Announces Six Gold Medal Awards
Fleuroselect, an international ornamental plants industry organization, announced six new Gold Medal award winning varieties that will be available to growers in 2013 and for retail in 2014.
The Fleuroselect Gold Medal is awarded to new varieties that have been tested by the organization’s expert and independent judges at trial grounds across Europe. The varieties have been proven to supersede existing varieties in terms of breeding innovation and beauty.
Gold Medal winners included:
- Gaura lindheimeri ‘Sparkle White’ by Kieft Seed. This first-year flowering perennial presents earlier and features long panicles of starry white flowers that decorate the garden from late spring to autumn. The jury noted its excellent garden performance and strong branching habit.
- Pelargonium x hortorum ‘Pinto Premium White to Rose’ by Syngenta Flowers. The color of the umbels of this Pelargonium changes from white at the opening of the petals to rose at the maturing stage. Blooming from the end of April until October, the variety was selected for its superb retail value, early flowering and good growing habit.
- Penstemon x mexicali ‘Carillo Red’ by Kieft Seed. This seed-raised perennial exhibits early flowering, improved upward branching and strong red coloring. Judges chose it based on its color and all-around performance.
- PetuniaCultivars´SweetSunshine Provence´by Selecta Klemm. This sturdy Petunia is easy to control in small pots and stands out in bigger baskets. The jury was impressed with the color shading and cited it as a strong, versatile performer.
- Zinnia x hybrida ‘Profusion Double Hot Cherry’ by Sakata Flowers. This variety includes double flowers and non-fading deep rose petals, and is tolerant against diseases such as Alternaria and Powdery Mildew. Judges chose the Zinnia for its innovation, overall appearance and outstanding garden performance.
- Zinnia marylandica ‘Zahara Sunburst’ by PanAmerican Seed. This annual features a red and yellow bicolor flower pattern that can be altered by cold night temperatures or the use of PGR in the greenhouse. Judges selected it for its innovation, pattern and floriferousness.
More information about the Gold Medal winners can be found at www.fleuroselect.com/goldmedal.