Seven Students Receive Shinoda Foundation Scholarships
Trustees of the Joseph Shinoda Memorial Scholarship Foundation have announced the recipients of their 2008-2009 Shinoda Foundation Scholarships. Seven students studying horticulture have been awarded scholarships totaling $12,000 to assist in funding for the upcoming academic year.
Since 1965, the Shinoda Foundation has awarded scholarships valued at more than $694,000 to 600 undergraduate students. Students studying horticulture, floriculture or related fields are eligible. “These students are the future of the horticulture industry, and the foundation is proud to continue its support of this next generation of leaders,” says Paul Ecke, III, president of the foundation.
Recipients of the 2008-2009 scholarships include :
- Leann Kootz, senior, horticulture major, Kansas State University
- Jessica Goebel, senior, horticulture major, Kansas State University
- Nathan Lang, senior, horticulture major, University of Wisconsin, River Falls
- Kimberly Oellerich, senior, horticulture major, The Pennsylvania State University
- Christopher Shogren, junior, environmental horticulture major, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- Christopher von Kohn, sophomore, horticulture major, Texas A&M University
- Amanda Rosa, senior, environmental horticulture major, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
Amanda Rosa was also named the winner of the California Floral Council Scholarship – an award created in 2005 by a gift to the Shinoda Foundation from Hardy Neuendorff, president of the California Floral Council.
In addition to the $12,000 in scholarships, 10 percent of each scholarship is sent to the winners’ departments as incentive for the department to encourage students to apply for future scholarships. The additional funding totaled $1,200, bringing the total amount awarded to $13,200.
Information about the scholarships is sent to horticulture and floriculture departments across the nation, and applications are accepted from January until March 30 each year. For an application or further information visit the Shinoda Foundation at www.shinodascholarship.org or write to Joseph Shinoda Memorial Scholarship Foundation Inc., 234 Via La Paz, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401.