VeriFlora, North America’s first and most rigorous eco-label certification standard for the floral industry, is considered the gold standard for sustainable certification in the market.
Two organizations within the industry were recently awarded this certification: Rancho Tissue Technologies and Olson's Greenhouse. They have both been recognized for their continual commitment to advancing sustainability in their business and communities.
The VeriFlora standard establishes rigorous performance criteria and a framework for continuous improvement in sustainability areas including crop production, resource conservation and energy efficiency, ecosystem protection, integrated waste management, fair labor practices, community benefits and product quality. Companies must meet stringent requirements for chemical use in their facilities, as well as high standards for worker safety and workplace conditions.
Rancho Tissue Technologies’ extensive sustainability efforts encompass every aspect of the business, including:
- Selecting plants that require less water and fewer chemicals
- Recycling and reusing all lab vessels plants are grown in
- Installing new growth chamber lighting to reduce energy usage and costs by at least 25%
- Weekly employee health, safety and quality training meetings
Olson's Greenhouse's commitment to sustainability includes the following measures:
- Installing a state-of-the-art Zwart Systems Clean Stream Media Filter, which has reduced burden on resources by more than 50 percent
- Diligent management of chemical usage/disposal; often complimented as having one of the "cleanest" chemical rooms in the industry
- Using Argus environmental control systems in the greenhouse
- Running an efficient fleet of vehicles that supply plants to five states: Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana
- Giving back to the local community
For more information on these organizations, visit Rancho Tissue Technologies’ website  or Olson's Greenhouse's website . For more information on SCS (Scientific Certification Systems) or the VeriFlora label, visit VeriFlora's website .