CENTS is rolling out more than a new look in 2012. The spotlight on business includes a bevy of new Business Management sessions to help green industry professionals drive business efficiency, sales and profitability.
The Central Environmental Nursery Trade Show (CENTS) is rolling out more than a new look in 2012. The spotlight on business includes a bevy of new Business Management sessions to help green industry professionals drive business efficiency, sales and profitability.
CENTS has worked in conjunction with The Ohio State University Nursery Short Course for more than 80 years, providing a vast array of education sessions tailored to the green side of nursery and landscape businesses, covering topics specifically developed for growers, independent garden centers, landscape contractors, arborists, turf and pest management professionals.
The new focus for CENTS 2012 Marketplace is to "grow beyond the green" — as in the green side of the business — and include the business side of business. According to Kevin Thompson, executive director of The Ohio Nursery and Landscape Association. "What we hear in the current business climate is that industry members want more than continuing education in horticulture. They need practical, hands-on advice to help get control of the bottom line, while reducing the headaches that come with issues like hiring staff, playing taxes and succession planning. CENTS 2012 sessions tackle these issues head-on."
2012 ONLA Business Management topics include:
- Human Resources Essentials for Small Business - Jeff Shick, director of manufacturing & technology, Ohio SBDC
- Basic Bookkeeping to Keep the IRS Happy - Dave Krebs, CPA Advisory Group Inc./Ohio SBDC
- Understanding the Impact of New Estate Tax Laws on Family Business - Bea Wolper, Conway Center for Family Business
- Quick Response (QR)/2D Barcodes: What Are They and Why Do They Matter? - Timothy Howard, Clarity Connect
- Marketing More With Less: Growing Your Business with the Resources You Have - Nancy Stoll, Ohio SBDC
- Family Business Succession: Overcoming Challenges in Transition - Dick Emens, Conway Center for Family Business
- Navigating the Ever-Changing Ohio Workers' Compensation Landscape - Shawn Combs, CareWorks Consultants Inc.
- Implementing an Effective Safety Program - Gary Hanson, American Safety & Health
- IRS Small Business Tax Essentials - Grant Neilley, Neilley & Co., CPAs Inc.
- Strategic Planning: Putting Vision and Direction Into Your Business - Jeff Shick, director of manufacturing & technology, OHIO SBDC
CENTS show dates are Jan. 23 to 25, 2012, at the Greater Columbus Convention Center, Columbus, Ohio.