Growers and retailers now have some insight into consumer preference into their mixed containers thanks to Burpee Home Gardens' My Garden Designer mobile design tool
Growers and retailers now have some insight into consumer preference in their mixed containers thanks to Burpee Home Gardens' My Garden Designer mobile design tool
This year, more than 6,100 combos were crafted virtually using the My Garden Designer mobile design tool, revealing consumer trends and preferences for gardening habits, color choices and variety selection.
“The intelligence we’ve gathered from our first full year of gardeners designing with the My Garden Designer tool has been fascinating to monitor,” says Diane Hund, director of marketing for Burpee Home Gardens. “We’re passing along this insight to the industry. Burpee Home Gardens growers and retailers now have a glimpse into what’s hot in the marketplace.”
The data showed that the top color-combo choices are:
• White, Pink and Purple
• Cream, Pink and Green
• White, Red and Green
In 2012, the top three mixed variety designs selected by home gardeners are:
• Begonia Dragon Wing Pink; N.G. Impatiens Celebrette Grape Crush; Dichondra Silver Falls
• Coleus Henna; Calibrachoa Isabells Yellow; Petunia Suncatcher Midnight Blue
• Snapdragon Snapshot PlumBlossom; Alyssum Clear Crystal Purple Shades; Petunia Pop Rocks White
While designing containers is a growing category, more than half of the designs were selected for in-ground garden bed applications (52%). In-ground edged out containers (48%). Most gardeners designed for full-sun applications (68%) with shade containers accounting for the remainder (32%).
“My Garden Designer takes the guesswork out of creating mixed combinations, and allows gardeners to explore custom designs.” says Hund. “Container gardeners are now equipped with a design tool at their fingertips, and the industry can place its finger on the market’s pulse,”
Launched in Spring 2012, Burpee’s My Garden Designer creates container and flowerbed planograms for home gardeners. Through quick selections on color,gardeners create “filler,” “spiller,” “thriller” arrangements. The tool also suggests multiple designs, theme arrangements, creates a plant shopping list, and includes a where-to-buy store search.
To trial My Garden Designer and Burpee Home Gardens other mobile web tools, visit the demonstration page http://m.ballhort.com/bst 
For further details on becoming a certified grower/retailer for the Burpee Home Gardens program through Ball Horticultural Company visit http://www.ballhort.com/BurpeeHomeGardens