Southern Nursery Association
Back for the first time in four years, SNA 2013 took place Aug. 5-7, at the Georgia Convention Center in Atlanta, Ga. SNA 2014 is scheduled for July 22-24, 2014.
Back for the first time in four years, SNA 2013 took place Aug. 5-7, at the Georgia Convention Center in Atlanta, Georgia. The Southern Nursery Association (SNA) says that the event was an success based on comments from exhibitors and attendees.
The event also set the stage for recognizing the 2013 SNA Awards recipients and electing a new slate of officers.
The award recipients included:
- Slater Wight Memorial Award - Dr. Nick Gawel, Tennessee State University Otis L. Floyd Nursery Research Center, McMinnville, Tenn.
- David E. Laird, Sr. Memorial Award - Joseph B. Hillenmeyer, Joseph Hillenmeyer Garden Design, Lexington Ky.
- SNA Pinnacle Award - Gary L. Stover, Stover Manufacturing, Port Orange, Fla.
- SNA Environmental Award - Saunders Brothers Inc., Piney River, Va., and Dr. John Lea-Cox, University of Maryland
- SNA Honorary Member Awards - Wilbur C. Mull, Classic Groundcovers, Athens, Ga., and Dr. Carl E. Whitcomb, Lacebark Publication & Research, Stillwater, Okla.
- Porter Henegar Memorial Award - John W. Olive, Auburn University, Auburn, Ala.
- The Don Shado Award of Excellence - Rick Crowder, Hawksridge Farms, Hickory, N.C.
Also at SNA 2013, a new slate of SNA officers was elected. The new officers will serve for the 2013-2014 term, and they are:
- Jeff Howell, president, Rocky Creek Nursery, Lucedale, Miss.
- Richard May, vice president/treasurer/director Chapter 2, May Nursery, Havana, Fla.
- Eelco Tinga, Jr., director Chapter 1, Tinga Nurseries, Castle Hayne, N.C.
- Michael Hobbs, director Chapter 3, Warren County Nursery, McMinnville, Tenn.
- Dusty Knight, director Chapter 4, Plantation Tree Co., Selma, Ala.
- William Boyd, immediate past president, Flower City Nurseries, Smartt, Tenn.
A panel of independent retailers walked the SNA 2013 show floor to find the most unique and innovative products that have the most potential to be best sellers in the garden center. The 11 winners were recognized on the SNA Stage at the end of the first day of the show.
- Applied Polymer Systems, Woodstock, Georgia – Pond Zinger
- Briggs Nursery, Elma, Wash. – David Austin Rose Program
- Hackney Nursery, Greensboro, Fla. – “Ebony Fire” Crape Myrtle
- HIP Labels, Greensboro, N.C. – “Hip Clip” Large Label Attachment
- Jackson Nursery, Belvidere, Tenn. – “The Rising Sun” Redbud
- Oldcastle Lawn & Garden, Anderson, S.C. – Jolly Gardener Tree, Shrub & Rose Soil Roseville Farms, Apopka, FL – Clematis Plants
- Season2Buy, Carbondale, Ill. – $eason2Buy Budgeting System
- Skagit Gardens, Mount Vernon, Was. – “Merlin” Helleborus and “Ascot Rainbow” Euphorbia
- Southern Palms & Plants, Steinhatchee, Fla. – “PomNatural” Pomegranate
- Walters Gardens, Zeeland, Mich. – “Cranberry Crush” Hardy Hibiscus
In addition to the SNA Retailers’ Choice Awards Jackson Nursery, Belvidere, Tenn., received Best in Show/Green Goods and HIP Labels, Greensboro, N.C., received Best in Show/Allied Products.
SNA 2014 is scheduled for July 22-24 at the Georgia International Convention Center in Atlanta.
For more information on SNA or any of these awards, visit www.sna.org .