SAF Presents Awards and Welcomes New AAF Members
The Society of American Florists recognized the Alex Laurie Award recipient, century-old floral businesses and new American Academy of Floriculture members during SAF’s 129th Annual Convention in Phoenix, Ariz.
The Society of American Florists (SAF) recognized the Alex Laurie Award recipient, century-old floral businesses and new American Academy of Floriculture (AAF) members at SAF’s 129th Annual Convention in Phoenix, Ariz.
Professor Virginia R. Walter of California Polytechnic State University is the 2013 recipient of the SAF Alex Laurie Award. The award honors individuals who have made significant contributions to floriculture research and education.
Klein’s Floral and Greenhouse in Madison, Wis., and Myers Flower Shop in Branford, Conn., both received the SAF Century Award. This award is given to companies that have been in business for 100 years or more.
In addition to these awards, AAF added seven new industry and community volunteers to its ranks. SAF says the AAF designation is reserved for individuals who have demonstrated deep personal and professional commitment to helping others succeed.
The AAF inductees for 2013 are:
- Bradley Beck, AAF, Design Master Color Tool Inc., Boulder, Colo.
- Jessica Cosentino, AAF, Cosentino’s Florist, Auburn, N.Y.
- Darenda Darnell-Garbarz, AAF, FSMD, Designs by Darenda, Homestead, Fla.
- Lane DeVries, AAF, The Sun Valley Group, Arcata, Calif.
- Jean Meiers, AAF, Meiers Floral in Minot, S.D.
- David Self, AAF, Wyld West Annuals, Loxahatchie, Fla.
- Augusto Solano, AAF, Asocolflores, the Association of Colombian Flower Exporters, Bogota, Colombia
For more information on SAF, visit www.safnow.org.