Tim Hodson is the editorial director of GPN and Big Grower. He can be reached at 847.391.1019 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A Seven-Day Reprieve
For any hard working college students out there that didn't get their applications in for the 2014 GPN/Nexus Intern of the Year scholarship, there's good news — they have been given a one-week reprieve. We have extended the deadline to next Monday — Oct. 28.
If mid-terms, football games or any other college life realities made it tough to send in their applications, they now have seven more days to apply to be the 2014 GPN/Nexus Intern of the Year.
Just a reminder, to be considered for the award, applicants must:
* Be enrolled in a four-year accredited university during 2012-2013 and 2013-2014.
* Be working on a floriculture-related undergraduate degree.
* Have completed a greenhouse internship in 2013.
The winning student will receive a check for $3,000; be featured in an article and on the cover of the January 2014 issue of GPN; receive airfare and hotel expenses to 2014 OFA Short Course in Columbus, Ohio, as well as a full Short Course registration.
To apply for the scholarship, the student should submit:
* A cover letter requesting consideration for the scholarship as well as what university the applicant attends;
* A letter of recommendation on university letterhead from the applicant's academic advisor; and
* A minimum 1,000 word essay describing the internship experience including who the applicant interned for, what his or her responsibilities were and what the applicant learned during the internship.
Applications should be sent to:
GPN/Nexus Intern Scholarship
Attn: Tim Hodson
3030 W. Salt Creek Lane, Suite 201
Arlington Heights, IL 60005
All applications must be received by 5 p.m. Chicago time on Oct. 28!