Youth Garden Grants Program
The National Gardening Association (NGA) announces The Home Depot as the new Youth Garden Grants sponsor. Over the last 22 years, NGA’s Youth Garden Grants program has helped more than 1.2 million youngsters reap rewards and vital life lessons from working in gardens and habitats, and “thanks to the generosity of The Home Depot, we can reach many more eager young learners,” NGA said. In recognition of this partnership announcement, NGA has extended the application deadline to March 1, 2005.
For the 2005 grant cycle, NGA will award 100 Youth Garden Grants to schools and community organizations with child-centered, outdoor garden programs. Each grant winner will receive a $500 gift card from The Home Depot for the purchase of gardening materials and supplies specific to the needs of their program. Each award package includes:
- A $500 gift card from The Home Depot’
- An activity package consisting of three of NGA's publications: Steps to a Bountiful Kids’ Garden, Schoolyard Mosaics and GrowLab Activities for Growing Minds.
- A “Youth Garden Grant Winner” sign to post in the garden.
- A 12-month supporter-level membership to NGA (includes online garden Q&A service, online gardening and botany courses, and a 10 percent discount at the NGA’s Gardening with Kids store)
Priority will be given to proposals with emphasis in one or more of these areas:
- Educational focus and/or curricular ties (if applicant is a formal education program)
- Nutrition or plant-to-food connections
- Environmental awareness/education
- Social aspects of gardening such as leadership development, team building, community support or service learning
You can apply by visiting to download an application, or you can request an application by mail by calling (800) 538-7476 ext. 115, or E-mail at .