OSU Releases Annual Trial Results
The results have been released from the most recent annual bedding plant trial at The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio. The trials, led by Claudio Pasian and managed by Bart Hayes, have more than 600 varieties in the ground and more than 100 varieties in mixed containers, all supplied by more than 20 companies. Each variety was evaluated for performance and durability.
The plants were installed between May 10 and 21 and, while they enjoyed seasonal conditions in early May, faced above-average temperatures from late May to early July.
The top 15 performing plants from the first consumer evaluation, rated the week of June 28, are below. Unless otherwise noted, plants were grown in the ground. Each was scored out of five points.
- Echeveria mix (container, D.S. Cole Growers) — 4.60
- Petunia 'Supertunia Vista Bubblegum' (Proven Winners) — 4.59
- Succulent mix (container, D.S. Cole Growers) — 4.58
- Petunia 'Cascadias Noble Blue' (container, Danziger) — 4.55
- Calibrachoa 'MiniFamous Compact Watermelon' (container, Selecta) — 4.53
- Petunia 'Wave Purple Improved' (PanAmerican Seed) — 4.50
- Marigold 'Babuda Yellow' (Ameriseed) — 4.48
- Petunia 'Petitunia Cranberry Dream' (container, Danziger) — 4.45
- TIE: Jamesbrittenia 'Britney Grand Purple Joy' (Danziger) — 4.43; Petunia 'Ray Pink' (container, Danziger) — 4.43
- Calibrachoa 'Lindura Pink' (container, Fides) — 4.38
- Marigold 'Bali Gold' (Ameriseed) — 4.36
- Argyranthemum 'Summerlovers White Butterfly' (GGG) — 4.34
- TIE: Verbena 'Temari Cherry Red' (Suntory) — 4.32; Marigold 'Narai Orange' (Ameriseed) — 4.32
For more information, visit floriculture.osu.edu.